👑 Administrator 👑
- Jul 18, 2020
Rufus is a utility that helps format and create bootable Flash / Pen / Key disks, memory cards, etc. Despite its small size, Rufus can do it all! Works very fast. For example, twice as fast as UNetbootin,
Universal USB Installer, or Windows 7 USB download tool when creating a bootable Windows 7 USB disk from an ISO image. Rufus is also slightly faster at creating a bootable Linux USB disk from an ISO image.
Rufus will be especially useful when:
- you need to create a bootable USB disk from a bootable ISO image (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on systems that do not have an OS installed
- you need to flash BIOS or other firmware from under DOS
- you need to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus can do whatever it takes.
About DOS support:
If you are creating a DOS boot disk and using a non-US keyboard, Rufus will select the keyboard layout according to your system's regional settings. In this case, FreeDOS, which is the default, will be used instead of MS-DOS, since it supports more keyboard layouts.
About ISO support:
All versions of Rufus since 1.1.0 allow you to create a bootable USB disk from an ISO image (.iso). It is very easy to create an ISO image from a physical disc or from a set of files using CD burning software such as the freeware CDBurnerXP or ImgBurn.
About UEFI and GPT support:
Since version 1.3.2, Rufus supports UEFI as well as GPT partitions of installation media, which means that Rufus will allow you to install Windows 7, Windows 8 or Linux in full EFI mode. However, full UEFI / GPT support requires Windows Vista or later versions of Windows. Windows XP restricts the creation of UEFI bootable disks to MBR mode due to operating system limitations.
Partial list of ISOs that Rufus can handle: Arch Linux, Archbang, BartPE / pebuilder, CentOS, Damn Small Linux, Debian, Fedora, FreeDOS, FreeNAS, Gentoo, GParted, gNewSense, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, KolibriOS , Kubuntu, Linux Mint, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Partition Wizard, Raspbian, ReactOS, Red Hat, rEFInd, Slackware, Super Grub2 Disk, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, Ubuntu, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP (SP2 + ), Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
Changes in version:
• Add a cheat mode (Alt -M) to accept disk images without a Boot Marker
• Add marquee operation progress to the taskbar icon
• Add zeroing / image writing progress to the log
• Switch to using 0x55 and 0xAA instead of 0x00 and 0xFF for low pass badblock check
• Switch to using fake / manufacturer units when computing the default label
• Fix overnumerous write retries on error when writing a disk image
• Work around Windows' abysmal handling of removable drives that contain an ESP
• Improve mounting / unmounting of volumes
• Update UEFI: NTFS file system drivers to version 1.7
• Other internal fixes and improvements (VDS, error reporting, etc.)
Download Rufus 3.13 Build 1730 Final (1.07 MB):